Thursday, March 27, 2008

not norma rae

Yawn. I feel like going back to bed.

My TA union is in negotiations and thinking of striking. Quel botheration. I agree with a couple of their demands, but not all of them, and not enough to strike. From what I've heard, I think this is timed so that striking would happen during final exams--that is to say, no TAs to grade finals. I guess it also gives the TAs an advantage in that there's almost no TAing over the summer, so you lose a few weeks of pay, and then go on with your summer--there's no pressure to go back to work. And the professors would have to grade their own finals? I don't know how this works. For some profs that would come out to 500+ final exams. On the other hand, grad students don't exactly have a lot of money and can't necessarily do without the pay.

Personally, I'd rather be paid. The union is looking for a $10-ish increase in pay, to match some other universities in Canada--the top ones, like Toronto. Their reasoning is that McGill calls/treats itself as a Top University, and therefore should pay the same. But there are two differences that I can see (a) the standard of living is lower in Quebec; (b) the tuition is lower than in those universities (except for international students, which many TAs are.) For myself, as a Quebec resident, my tuition has been so low it comes out to more money than I would have made with higher pay.

The other issues which I agree with, could probably be settled without striking. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A $10 raise???? What?? Wow... You already make waaaay more than most American (even top American) schools pay TAs. About twice as much. Of course, on my end, it sucks that most of us can't unionize at all... I'd rather be paid too--I didn't think the TA pay at McGill was bad at all (more than I'd ever gotten paid per hour before). And the professors having to grade all that?? It'll be finals of nothing but multiple choice, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my jaw just dropped. Ten dollars??? Are they mad?? Talk about entitlement.

When are you done with the shcoolasizing? We should get together and enjoy the blissfulness that is my unemployment.

(ps - I changed my blog name, so I don't think it's refreshing posts on your link. It's: ababeinthewoods.blogspot.com. Still completely vacuous though.)

Anonymous said...

In fact, if a strike occurs and professors grade exams that are ordinarily graded by TAs, they would be in violation of Quebec labour law, and could be subject to legal action and fines.

London Mabel said...

Re anon: Ya I learned that at the strike meeting (where I voted in favor, after hearing them present.) It's a 1000.00 per day fine for scabbing.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia