Thursday, March 10, 2011

I don't think "Cicatrisé pour la vie" is a French expression, but what's the equivalent?? (sob sob sob)

"In the middle of the night, in the Quebec countryside, all hell breaks loose as a black teenager is caught smashing a racially denigrating lawn ornament. Together the neighbours attend to justice against the vandal. Thorough the night there is mounting racism, fueled by alcohol, and violence. Le Nèg' opens the morning after when the police investigators arrive at the scene to take depositions." 

I'm totally traumatized. For some reason my vague impression had always been that this movie was about racism in a small town, but a satirical/nonviolent approach to the topic. It's not. It's brutal. Excellent movie, but holy mother of an oh my God. Horrifying.

At one point there was a word I didn't understand, but that I was pretty sure I understood based on context. I paused the movie to check in the dictionary, and the whole time I was praying: "Please don't let it mean what I think it means, please don't let it mean what I think it means..." It did and now I feel scarred for life.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia