Monday, March 7, 2011

Hapoo... or as they say in French: 'apoo

Excuse all these posts about improving my French. I had a very emotional week. Other than events like cats dying, which is a very specific type of Emotional Poopiness, it's been at least 15 years since I've gone through something like this. Longer. So just as when Sherry was sick and dying, I obsessively comparison shopped for purse organizers on etsy, now I'm anchoring myself to the stability of Language Learning. You can just skip it all and then pat me patronizingly on the head. I'll understand.

I'm building myself a little repertoire of online tools. When I want to compose something in French I've got two sites that correct both grammar and spelling, with explanations of why. They catch different things which is why I've taken to using both. They also contradict a bit, which is why, you know, don't let robots take over the world.

[As I write Minion is going apesh*t all over the apartment. She had a long nap after supper so now she's filled to the brim with beans. I think Haley's hiding in her cupboard box until it's all over. Fernando left his coat on the treadmill to dry, and Minion's sitting up top on it, doing a real number on it.]


[Oh there's Haley! Wow, she was nearby after all. Brave cat.]

[Now Minion's cake-facing her attentively.]

So anyway. I've got a good French dictionary widget, which I've just discovered has a verb conjugation function! But my Fr-Eng widget SUCKS and I can't find another.

And now I'm tired and I don't know why I'm still up and writing this.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

is it weird that due to all this talk of Frenchifying, I read Minion and pronounced in my head with a French accent, as in 'Mignon'?

London Mabel said...

Whenever we take her to the vet that's what they think her name is. I do it too when we're speaking in French, and call Haley 'AlEE.

So then I switched to calling Evil Minion: Demonne--which isn't even a word (there are no female demons apparently) yet it suits her.

Maggie said...

What about Diablotine? (Diablotin is French for imp, which is minionesque, if we're talking about Servants of Hell.)

London Mabel said...

Excellent. Now Diablotine better get better and get her ass home from the vet, sans surgery. Cause I'm tired of worrying, Fernando's overwhelmed, the bank account is hemorrhaging, and Mlle Satan is enjoying her single status far too much.

I'm tired of having evil pets!!

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia