Saturday, December 11, 2010

'I love you, Nicky, because you smell nice and know such fascinating people."

Finished reading Dashiel Hammett's The Thin Man. I'd always assumed it would be a more serious book than the movie, and that most of the humour was added by the screenwriters. And it is a bit tougher, and less Hays Code. But the characters are just as weird, the lines as witty, and the Nick and Nora repartee was definitely invented by Hammett--it's wonderful.

"I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you."

"Let's stick around awhile. This excitement has put us behind in our drinking."

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia