Friday, May 14, 2010

Where are you reading?


This is fun. Kobo has asked people to upload pictures showing where they're reading ebooks (on any device). I love things like "the desk where you write" and "where you're reading" (along with what you're reading, of course!)

I'm not eligible to enter, but I'd like to anyway--except I don't have a phone to take a pic of myself sitting at the bus stop or something. I'll have to bring my camera along with me next time I go out!

Here's one of the things I like about little kobo--the frouffy curlicue designs. I think they intelligently picked up on the fact that Jane Austen is their #1 downloaded author, and designed the kobo for the Jane Austen audience. But with a plain enough exterior that those who aren't into curlicues won't really notice. You can see what I mean in the top left corner of this picture.

2 comments:

BrotherPaul said...

How is the reading experience on the device? Is it back-lit, or some other technology? Is it hard to read outside due to glare or the sun overpowering the screen?

London Mabel said...

It's not backlit. eInk technology is like reading a book page. You might see a light reflecting off the glass, but the screen is different than a computer--it remains completely the same in direct sunlight. So it should also not give headaches, for people who get computer-headaches. (I don't get those, so I can't say first hand.)

So the reading is great.

My only complaint is that the blue button should be in the middle, where your thumb would rest if you were holding it with one hand--which is common. I don't know why they positioned it on the right. (The button is what you press to turn the page, so you want to plant your thumb on it, and leave it there as you read.)

I don't really like reading pdfs on it, but I found a free app that turns pdfs and other formats into epub.

I've had it two weeks and the battery hasn't died yet. Granted I've plugged it in sometimes to upload a book, and that makes the battery fill up again -- and it fills up fast. But I even left it on by accident one night, at work; and when I came in the next day, the battery hadn't gone down much.

So basically you get a really simple device that doesn't do anything fancy, but in return it's inexpensive and the battery lasts.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia