Thursday, April 1, 2010

My first AmIdol in years

I watched American Idol last night, first time in a couple years. I did other stuff at the same time cause it wasn't that good, but my fave performance was this one. I take it this guy usually sucks, but this was a very marketable cover of Chris Brown's "Forever." I love acoustic or jazzed up versions of hiphop songs--they often bring out a new, interesting element of the song.

The studio version they posted on iTunes isn't acoustic, it's a carbon copy of the original. Which proves, yet again, that the producers of American Idol are idiots and know F all about good music.

Original


Am Idol Version

4 comments:

BrotherPaul said...

I don't watch AmIdol, but I know that Garcia will be around for a while even if he sucks. He is a YouTube regular (Idol had him take all his stuff down during the show) and the YouTube community is rallying to help him win as he is one of them.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Hmm, yeah, it's a lackluster season, not really worth watching. I only keep watching 'cause I have kind of a crush on Crystal Bowersox. Last year, I also tried to quit, but I had a similar crush on Adam Lambert. Here is Crystal (I did not love her performance this week.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QARLOpvaoK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV0RPC6yHF0

She never watched the show, played sidewalks and coffee shops and stuff... And finally auditioned 'cause she's a single mom and needed the money. It's funny 'cause she's the least commercial contestant they've ever had, and since the season is so bland, they're positioning her as the front runner.

That said... With or without Crystal, I think I've just about had it with the show. A couple of weeks ago, Ke$ha performed in a Native headdress. It was...just awful.

Andrew Garcia has pretty much sucked since they hit the big stage, yes, but he was good in Hollywood week and did a Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" during Hollywood week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pB3gAjivrY&feature=related

I mean, I don't think it's exactly "genius" as Kara says, but definitely good.

London Mabel said...

I could tell Crystal was their darling, based on their comments. She's certainly one of those performers who seems immediately comfortable/professional on stage.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia