Saturday, March 6, 2010

Julie the prat

Watched this movie tonight because everyone said Meryl Streep was wonderful as Julia Child, and her story is great; although the parallel story of Julie is less likable. I agree--she whines a lot. And we all know by now (from her second book) that Julie cheated on her husband throughout their marriage, and is apparently quite a dick, and her husband a doormat. So it was a bit hard to enter into the "romance" of the thing. But worth watching for Julia.

Now the question remains whether I'll still read the book by Julie Powell, about cooking Julia Child's recipes for a year.

Ah well. Off to work on my own book. I have lots of good new ideas because of watching and reading Wodehouse all week.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

That's more or less what I've heard from others about the movie as well--a good half of a movie. I do like Amy Adams (especially in "Doubt"), but I'm just not thrilled with the premise. People are generally shocked by this because of how much I like food... And it's true--I do like to cook and enjoy good food. But... The premise bores me. I don't even really enjoy the Food Network shows, so I can't see how I'd make it through a whole film...

I watched "The White Riboon" last night (you know, the Michael Haneke film about the banality of evil in a small German village on the eve of World War I). It was pretty brilliant, I have to say. And pretty troubling as well. Reminded me of, say, an Ingmar Bergman film--in black and white with lots of disturbing but understated trauma themes.

Kristin said...

wrt Meryl Streep... I'm starting to feel a little apathetic about her. Yeah, yeah, we all know she can do spot-on impressions of just about anyone. And I'm rather sick of the whole "Wha...? Who? Me??" attitude from someone who's been nominated for *how many Oscars* by now? Seriously, woman! You're viewed as probably the best actress of your time. OWN that shit already! I'm sure I'd like her in it if I saw it just like everyone else did, but meh.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia