Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Oh the cookbook addiction!


Gave into temptation and bought a new vegan cookbook. I had my eye on Vegan Lunch Boxes, and on The Urban Vegan (I read her blog), but they both have faux-vegan processed food which I don't like. (a) Because I can only buy a lot of those things at the health food store, and I'm way too cold-resistant to go that far (7 min walk) in the winter. Seriously. I don't even go to the library across the street. ALL outdoor activity ceases once we reach 5 degrees C.

And (b) some products we don't have at all in my store, and I don't have a car so I'm not going any further.

And (c) I just don't want to eat a lot of processed food. Yes I'll buy bread and cereal and spaghetti sauce. But if I'm going to buy processed food, I'll buy a whole meal (hummus), or as a treat (vegan cream cheese, ice cream). Not as stuff I have on hand at all times, for any recipe.

Anyway, so I bought The Supermarket Vegan because it's based on 2 things: (1) food you can get at a suburban grocery store, and (2) not very processed.

I tried it tonight. In minutes I found two recipes I could make using the ingredients I have on hand, even though I haven't done a big shopping trip lately; I made them both, and was done, and cleanup done, within an hour. (I like to make big pots of things to eat over a couple days.) I made chilli with pasta, and curried orzo.

...Yes I know I'm the only vegan who read this blog. But I... I needed to shaaare. Probably a good book for people who want to make more vegetarian or vegan meals, but without having to buy kooky ingredients.

6 comments:

U-No-Whoo said...

Thanks, I'm trying to eat more healthy and with fewer dead animals involved. I have to get France on the same wavelength too - slowly... It would help if I got involved doing more cooking - but it's haaarrrd to change old habits. Not to mention cook with parrots screaming at me.... ;-) whine whine whine...

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

You know how cooking-resistant I am. So if I can integrate some no-fuss, easy-to-find, vegan-friendly meals....all to the good.

London Mabel said...

The chili recipe was just ordinary, but I'll make the orzo one again. Eez good!

Kristin said...

I will always be an omnivore, but I hate cooking with meat and don't care to eat it often. I much prefer vegetarian cooking to non-vegetarian, and a vegan grad school friend (from the last grad school) got me a little into vegan baking. I'll never be big into baking, but I recently made vegan pumpkin brownies that were awesome.

Kristin said...

Actually, I was looking into getting some basic vegan baking book. I was impressed with the way that the pumpkin brownies substituted a vegetable for some of the moisture that would usually be provided with milk and a lot of oil. Not because I'm trying to lose weight or anything, but because it's always helpful to get more veggies in. So, if you have a basic baking book recommendation, I'd love to know it.

London Mabel said...

As far I know, the cookbooks that do the most in regards to "sneaking in more vegetables" are the cookbooks for parents. The Jessica Seinfeld book is the famous one, but there are others. --> Oh and probably some low fat cookbooks would too. Maybe this blog:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

The vegan baking recipes I have are still based on the usual ingredients.

I only have one baking specific book (vegan): Goudreau's Joy of Vegan Baking. But my fave recipes mostly come from my general vegan cookbooks. I have a raw desserts book by Ani Phyo which I bought to have some "less processed" options. (Tend to be date and nut based.)

There'

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia